Sunday, December 2, 2012

When I was a beatnik




When I was a beatnik

When I was a beatnik
(and it was something like 50 years too late)
I used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day
And read Allen Ginsberg under a darkening
Dream
My thoughts about America
Were still American
(and they still are)
But the smell of those carcinogens
And the smoke and the taste of that bitter
Tobacco
Was senseless
And poised
I bled one time
My hand caught up
With a broken dish
My temper made the dish break
12 stitches and chatting merrily
With the man who’s putting needles
In the wound
 and puked
Every day for eight years
(thanks Goddess Be to Lithium)
I say that sarcastically
But with the radiant truth
In my soul
That knows my cats
Needed a beatnik to feed them
I did not so much go on the road
And womanize
As sit on my porch
Under the sun and the braches
Of the purple potato plant
That grew by the door
And I fed it carcinogens
By the bucketful
And read and muttered to myself
While the voices in my mind chattered
Mystically fervent
I tried to be a Beatnik
I felt I indentified
With Kerouac’s
Disaffection
And sense of rejection

And so like he drank himself to death
I smoked till I got asthma    






  




No comments:

Post a Comment