Sunday, December 2, 2012

lovers of rain

Outside in the torrent
the lightning struck the tree
and I was 14 and we were the only
people who were not afraid of the deluge
I slid in the grass
and I danced with you
and we (all of us) will remember the streams of water
and the lightning who didn't hide
under he eves, are lovers forever
of rain.
It was muddy
and the grass was slick
and Josh (who's name I didn't change)
smiled and slid with his boots pointing outward
we giggled
and tittered
It was the moment I saw
the power of lightning up close
and the last hour of my childhood
I was at school that day
and %90 of the campus hid
under the welcoming eves
while the "rest of us"
ran and coughed
and laughed and shouted
and screamed
and belittled their
general cowardice
the mud made for good
running and falling
and that tree was split
right in half by the storm
and I could see
the fear it made poeple feel
what an exhilarating day....
and I fell on Josh and on everybody
and we were a tangeled mess of
childhood dreams and the reflections
of water on skin.



No comments:

Post a Comment