Sunday, December 2, 2012

Lament (about the Earth)




Lament (about the Earth)
…so the news is predicting “rivers of Rain”
And I saw the thing about global warming
That says we are all doomed in 100 years…
I still go about in car, eat meat and forget to recycle
Sometimes I think every drop in the bucket
Counts
Sometimes not
Like when every drop is ignoring
It’s role as a collective wave
Like Ann Ryand hates “collectivism”
(and I have never read Ann Ryand)
But still I wonder what is a group
If not a collective?
Where power comes from
Is not my problem
I can exist knowing
The Earth will die
But not knowing
The sky will Die
If it stops raining
What then?
Will future generations forgive
My need for convenience?
In spite of their collective sorrow
I insist on going about in a car…

If hate were just a word
I would say that we hate the Earth
Otherwise
Why are we committing ‘Earth Murder”?
Why is the planet being drained
Of it’s blood and brains and soul
All for the auspices of industry\
Yet that amounts to carts
Power and piles and piles of
Landfill
If garbage is all we create
Out of forests and rocks
And “resources”
Then we truly are like rats that
Innovate towards our own
Destruction
(not that I don’t like people, I like rats too)
But it’s a shame to think that our civilized
World boils down
To the sun beating on a desert
That goes from pole to pole
and “all the things we are” keeps playing
On a megaphone in the distant desert
Heat, yet what we are breaks down
And returns to dust
Every which way you look
At this
There is no arrival at a world
That is better than the one behind us
Because we have wagered our future
For a ride in the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment