Friday, May 4, 2012

The City: The Homeless: Thoughts

Tonight at Luggage Store, I went out during the first set to get toilet paper for the bathroom...
on my way through the city (the nearest drugstore as far as I know) is four blocks down the street...
I saw sitting there with his back to the concrete outcropping, a man who looked so far in depths of misery that pity welled up inside me. His face was worn and tired and smudged with blood. He sat cross legged and was too exhausted to bother to ask anyone for money. Out of sadness for him as a spectacle, I stopped and gave him a dollar. Even as I did so feeling the futility of this act. I then proceeded down the street thinking something that has bothered me for ages...How can we allow homelessness? How? When there is, right here and now, the money to feed and house and provide the basics for every human being on Earth...How can we allow for this to happen. No one deserves the misery of sleeping on concrete in the cold and the rain. No matter how "stupid", "Lazy" or "Ignorant" they are. It made me think of Jesus and Buddha and all the saints and hero's of time passed who all stated the fact that the only way to help each other is to give selflessly to our own family, friends, neighborhood and even more so to the world at large. To bad it's not a socially sanctioned thing to help people of the homeless variety. I really should have stopped and offered him some kind of assistance. That is in essence my point. We travel along our own paths seldom stopping to help our neighbor or our friend if they fail or falter. A system that rewards competition, doesn't allow us to open ourselves to the thought of trying to meaningfully help those in need. 
Oh yeah, the music tonight was pretty good...but truthfully my mind was on other things...

No comments:

Post a Comment